Friday, October 24, 2008

CD Review: Styx: Big Bang Theory

No surprise to anyone who knows me, but Styx is my all time favorite band, ever since I first discovered them and the Grand Illusion album in college. Although I've never seen them in concert (or anyone else for that matter).

I found it to be a long dry spell after the Kilroy Was Here album which only contained the mega-hit, Mr. Roboto, and a lot of horrendous noise. After that 'concept album' which never should have been conceived of, the band seemed to split and in general gone in separate ways, except for a few reunion tours, like the re-opening of Chicago's famed Paradise Theatre.

But recently, the band seems to be on a small comeback. PBS (during yet another $$$ night) aired a Styx concert from nearby Blossom Music Theatre with the Cleveland Youth Orchestra and Chorus as part of their 'One With Everything' tour. It was great!

But as part of the pledge, PBS also offered as a throw-in (if you pledge $95) the Big Bang Theory CD. Hmmm. I later found out this album was a cover album of former hits by the currently group of Styx, with Lawrence Gowen replacing Dennis DeYoung. Seemed like it might be interesting, I'd keep an eye out for it.

Then a few weeks after eating Chinese buffet with a friend from the steel mill in Lorain, I stopped by the Record Exchange store in search of treasures and found Styx: Big Bang Theory. Only $5!

And it's great! Most of the songs are remakes from the 60's.

Songs on the album:
I Am The Walrus /Beatles (good)
I Can See For Miles / The Who (great)
Can't Find My Way Home / Steve Winwood (not bad)
It Don't Make Sense / Willie Dixon (could live without it)
I Don't Need No Doctor / Ray Charles (great)
One Way Out / Allman Brothers (great)
A Salty Dog / Procol Harum (interesting, catchy)
Summer In The City / Lovin Spoonfuls (great)
Manic Depression / Jimi Hendrix (excellent)
Talkin' About The Good Times /The Pretty Things (good)
Locomotive Breath /Jethro Tull (good)
Find The Cost Of Freedom / Stephen Stills (could live without)
Wishing Well / Free (average)
Blue Collar Man 2120 /Styx (different, jazzy)

As you can see by my comments, I highly recommend the album if you can find it.

Grade: A+

McDoogle

PS. Your Challenge: Record your own remake of a song from the 60's. Nothing from the Beach Boys, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment form?