Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Book Review: Interesting Times

I thought I would take another stab at reading a Terry Pratchett novel. While I've never been enamoured with the few novels I've read in the DiscWorld series, I was told by a friend that this was one of the better ones. I've much preferred the Xanth fantasy series in the past.

But I really did like this one the best. One reason was that Rincewind the Wizzard was a main character, my favorite Discworld character. Rincewind is a wizard (much like most of the wizards in Discworld) with seemingly no magical ability whatsoever except a strong innate sense of when to Run Away. Yet Rincewind is continually put in impossible dangerous situations, and always manages to 'miraculously' save himself and those around him. Two Flower the tourist swears by him.

But the characters who steal the story are the Silver Horde led by Cohen the Barbarian. Six old men, former Gladiators, who refuse to retire! Fighting, conquering, and pillaging is their life... and their art. Even wheelchair bound Hamish (a wheelchair with knives!), refuses to go out without a fight - despite being hard of hearing. Lead by Cohen the Barbarian, they go on a conquest to defeat the kingdom of Hunghung.

This novel also had some very witty lines. The one I remember best is when Rincewind is in prison with TwoFlower the tourist:
Rincewind: "Do we get fed in here?"
Two Flower: "Oh, sometimes. But it's not like the marvelous food in Ankh-Morpork."
Rincewind: "Really."
Two Flower: "I'll always remember the taste of Mr. Dibbler's sausages."
Rincewind: "People do."
Two Flower: "A once-in-a-lifetime experience."
Rincewind: "Frequently."

I started reading this book very very slowly ( a few pages every other day), but the pieces all seemed to start coming together about midway, and I started reading faster. And overall I now recommend the book.

I'm not sure what the Quantum Weather Butterfly had to do with anything. It was hinted that the butterfly was going be a critical factor to the storyline, but whatever it was, it didn't see it.

May you live in Interesting Times!

Grade: B-

McDoogle

PS. Your Challenge: Find an old CD you no longer listen and create your own Discworld. Anything from Neil Diamond would make a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment form?