Monday, June 2, 2008

Solaris!

Planet of mystery.

I finally managed to rent a DVD copy of the movie Solaris. The 2002 version with George Clooney. Based on the book of the same name by my all-time favorite SF writer: Stanislaw Lem.

Yes, the movie was a bit confusing, but overall, I kind of liked it. To me it made sense that the movie was confusing, since I read the book twice and still wasn't sure what was going on.

I thought George Clooney actually did a decent job in this movie as the space psycho-analyst Chris Kelvin send to out to save the Solaris mission.

But the best acting was from Jeremy Davies who portrayed Snow. The hand gestures, speech patterns, eye movements - all very odd, and perfect for his character.

Is Solaris really just a planet? Or a sentient being capable of reaching into your subconsious past and 'creating' visitors for you? Kelvin's wife Rheya had committed suicide. And now (after Kelvin wakes up from a nap)... here she is - living and breathing! But is she human, or alien sub-matter? And how human can someone culled from the limited memory of the sleeping dreamer be?


<* Spoiler Alert! *> We later find out that Snow is the 'visitor' who survived an attack from his original self soon after he is 'created'. In self defense the original Snow is killed and stuffed in a vent by the visitor Snow. But he's cool with it.

Overall I rate the movie: B+

McDoogle

PS. Your challenge: Discover a new planet of your own. Note any anomalies. Report back to base camp - ASAP!

2 comments:

  1. This movie could only be better if shown on network TV with weather report interruptions every 10 minutes. The sun is shining out there, folks, that's when things get scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it recently. I loved it. It was likely the scenery that captivated me first, along with the quirkiness of the stoic crew. Their performances weren't Oscar-worthy, as the script did not allow either of them room enough to shine; it did however, allow us (or me) enough quiet to ponder & appreciate those deep philosophical questions undergirding our insatiable curiosities about the validity of space-time, sentient beings or self-aware entities out there, which likely do exist. I know my comments are little late (smile). I hope my participation is still appreciated nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete

Comment form?