Sunday, December 20, 2009

Wicked!

For a special present we went to see the Broadway production of 'Wicked' in Cleveland's theatre district, at majestic State Theatre of Playhouse Square. And 'Wicked' did not disappoint!

I had heard the music from the CD previously so I had the general gist of the storyline going in. But to see the production live was really quite a treat. Actors were great. The stages and costumes were amazing. And everything was a delightful tint of green.

At our performance, the role of Elphaba was played by the understudy Stephanie Torns. But she was perfect in the role. Very believable. And her interaction with Glinda was perfect and very natural, witty, humorous and well timed. As the scorned loner of Dear Old Shiz she portrayed a strong will in standing up for yourself in the light of adversity. She has a strength of conviction which continues throughout the story even standing up to the great Wizard of Oz himself, and his propaganda machine.

Of course my favorite songs are 'Popular' and 'Defying Gravity'. One surprise that I didn't pick up from listening to the CD was that while in Act I Elphaba sings 'I'm Not That Girl', in Act II it's Glinda sing the reprise.

A good time to mention Glinda. Played by Chandra Lee Schwartz was incredible. Such a bubble headed bleach blonde. Her portrayal was so funny and spot on. And yet, as the story progresses, Glinda grows into a mature responsible adult/witch herself. I wasn't expecting a story about the importance of friendship and yet Elphaba and Glinda despite all their differences and even their shared love for Fiyero, end as trusted friends.

I also enjoyed Randy Danson's Madame Morrible. And Ben Liebert played Boq well, but that character really turned out to be a superficial snot.

I did not care for the acting of Richard Kline as the Wizard. I don't think it had anything to do with the Wizard turning out to be a power hungry manipulator. I just didn't think he did a good job, and the performance was lack luster. Although I never cared for him much as Jack Tripper's neighbor Larry on Three's Company either.

Overall, it was a grande December Saturday afternoon, and I encourage everyone to catch 'Wicked' if you can. Even if you have to Defy Gravity!

McDoogle

1 comment:

  1. Poor, misunderstood Richard Kline. He's just a kid with nowhere to go!

    ReplyDelete

Comment form?